2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty pickups work harder with new power and tech
By Larry StewartOctober 03, 2022
Ford says the stakes are high for the all-new 2023 F-Series Super Duty pickup trucks’ new powertrain, interiors and technology. The blue oval claims 50% of heavy duty pickup market share among utility, mining, construction, and emergency response vehicles, according to S&P Global Mobility, and that the Super Duty line generates more revenue than many Fortune 500 companies. The 2023 model year redesign aims for new kinds of productivity.
“With state-of-the-art technology, including a 5G modem connected to a powerful ecosystem of productivity-boosting software and services, the all-new Super Duty can seamlessly shift from workhorse to office of the future,” said Ted Cannis, CEO of Ford Pro.
New workhorse credentials
A new V8 gasoline-engine choice and new high-output Power Stroke diesel expand Super Duty power options:
- A 7.3-liter V8 targets the best gasoline horsepower and torque in the class with improved air intake and tuning
- A 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 diesel can go longer intervals between oil changes to stay on the job longer
- A new high-output 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 diesel rating with a unique turbo, upgraded exhaust manifolds and unique tuning aims for the best horsepower and torque in the class.
Every Super Duty gets a Ford-designed and built 10-speed TorqShift automatic transmission, and every chassis cab model comes standard with a power take off connection to run added equipment, like boom lifts and plows. Four-wheel drive is now standard on XLT-trimmed models and above.
The new Ford Pro Upfit Integration System (UIS) is a digital solution that provides aftermarket equipment makers improved access to Super Duty’s electrical system and signals to seamlessly integrate control of their hardware to operate through the truck’s digital displays. Cloud-based software connects to the UIS
so equipment makers can add digital buttons that allow drivers to control their equipment from inside the truck. The system allows for high levels of customization and safety interlocks, like preventing the transmission from shifting into drive when an integrated boom lift is raised.
Pro Power Onboard is now available for Super Duty. It offers 2.0-kilowatts of output accessible inside the truck and cargo box. Outlets can be mounted on chassis cabs with a special outlet installation kit.
New towing and safety technology
Ford targets best-in-class payload and towing for every trailer type with Super Duty, and a new set of available driver-assist technologies is designed to simplify the towing experience and build overall confidence:
- 360-Degree Trailer Camera System provides a bird’s-eye view of the trailer to make maneuvering in tight spaces easier with virtually no blind spots
- Blind Spot Information System for Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck can be attached to a trailer to help identify
- Industry-first available Tailgate Down Camera and Tailgate Down Reverse Sensing System includes a new camera and reverse sensors in the top of the tailgate that provide visual and audible alerts when the tailgate is down to make backing up to a dock or hitching a gooseneck or fifth-wheel trailer easier than ever before
- Pro Trailer Hitch Assist automatically backs the truck up and aligns the conventional hitch ball to the trailer receiver
- Trailer Navigation plots driving routes that can be safely navigated with given trailer dimensions and weight to avoid potential issues with low bridges and tight turns
“Our goal was to leave drivers with zero blind spots, even when towing the longest trailers,” said Andrew Kernahan, Ford Super Duty chief engineer. “Camera views provide every angle, from simulating a drone to making sure customers can see behind the truck even when the tailgate is down. Hitching and towing has never been easier.”
There’s also new safety and security technology available that goes beyond camera angles:
- Trailer Theft Alert will send an alert via the FordPass app should anyone attempt to disconnect the trailer when the truck is locked
- Vehicle Security, available with a Ford Pro Telematics subscription, uses sensors to monitor impact and towing events and sends alerts even when the vehicle is off
- Forward/Reverse Sensing System helps drivers by showing objects immediately in front of the vehicle and warns when objects are near the front or rear of the vehicle
- Front and Rear Brake Assist helps prevent low-speed collisions to help automatically protect against hitting objects that may otherwise be hard to see
- Full-color head-up display helps keep eyes on the road by showing information right in the driver’s line of sight that changes with driving mode
New in the cab
The 2023 Ford Super Duty is the first pickup in the United States with embedded 5G capability – AT&T’s 5G network can deliver faster navigation, mapping and data downloads. The Qualcomm modem can also provide a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to ten devices.
Improved connectivity makes it easier to use Ford Pro’s software tools, such as Ford Pro Fleet Management Software and Ford Pro Telematics, which identify maintenance needs, vehicle locations, driver behaviors, wasted idle time and more. Super Duty customers also receive access to more than 650 Ford Commercial Vehicle Centers, a network of more than 300 upfitters and expanding fleet of more than 700 Mobile Service Vans, as well as Ford Pro FinSimple, which makes vehicle leasing and purchasing easy and efficient.
The in-cabin experience is further enhanced with:
- Customizable 12-inch digital instrument cluster
- Four USB power ports and available wireless charging pad
- Max Recline Seats that fold almost horizontal and lift the seat bottom up for a nearly flat surface to maximize comfort during downtime
- 640-watt, eight-speaker B&O Sound System or an optional 1,080-watt, 18-speaker B&O Unleashed Sound System by Bang & Olufsen for a fully immersive audio experience
- Alexa Built-in hands-free experience with complimentary connectivity to Alexa for up to three years
The 2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty is assembled in Louisville, Ky., and Avon Lake, Ohio. The all-new Ford F-Series Super Duty goes on sale in early 2023.