2024 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty 2500 sets the towing-capacity bar
By Larry StewartJanuary 11, 2023
As 2023 work is firming up, don’t forget to weigh the differences in the ever-more-powerful, ever-more-technological heavy-duty work pickup market.
For the 2024 model-year Sierra Heavy Duty pickup trucks, GMC dialed up the 6.6L Duramax turbodiesel power. The engine option now delivers 470 horsepower (at 2800 rpm) and 975
pounds-feet of torque (at 1600 rpm), offering more power across the entire operating speed range. Specifically, low-end torque production increases up to 25% compared to the current model for improved towing performance.
GMC claims the 2024 Sierra HD will also offer best-in-class 2500 Crew Cab towing of up to 21,900 pounds (Crew Cab Long Bed 2WD model with 6.6L Duramax, Trailer Brake Controller, Max Trailering package and 5th Wheel / Gooseneck hitch) and max
2500 towing of up to 22,500 pounds, enabled by a new available Max Tow Package.
Towing capacities across the lineup:
- Up to 21,900 pounds on 2500HD Crew Cab – best in class
- Up to 22,500 pounds on 2500HD – a 4,000-pound increase over the current model
- Up to 36,000 pounds on 3500HD
The Allision 10-speed automatic transmission is not only matched with the optional Duramax, but also to Sierra HD’s standard 6.6L gasoline engine. Replacing the previous six-speed automatic shortens the steps between gears so the 6.6L gas engine can stay close to its peak power (401 horsepower and 464 pounds-feet of torque) through more of the driving speed range.
That translates into a more confident feeling of on-demand power, regardless of whether or not the truck is towing a trailer. When it is towing, performance and capability are enhanced thanks in part to the 10-speed configuration, along with the capability of channeling every single pound-foot of torque to the tires in every gear.
The 2024 Sierra HD’s ProGrade Trailering System includes a suite of available intelligent assistance technologies designed to help streamline hitching and towing. GMC says integrated tools improve the drivers feelings of safety, confidence and visibility. These are the enhancements:
- Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert extends side blind-zone alerts to include areas around the trailer.
- All-new GCW Alert warns the driver if the vehicle and trailer weight exceed the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating.
- New Adaptive Cruise Control with Trailering allows the Sierra HD’s adaptive cruise control to be used while trailering and to account for additional drag and increased braking distances.
In total, the 2024 Sierra Heavy Duty offers up to 14 available camera views including:
- Hitch Guidance with Hitch View provides a close-up of the receiver hitch to help with alignment when positioning the ball under a trailer’s hitch.
- Bed View with Zoom and Bed Hitch Guidance allows you to see the cargo bed to help with fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitching or to
- Rear Side View with Trailer Length Indicator will show a full screen down the side of the truck along with a Trailer Length Indicator to aid in changing lanes by visually showing obstructions in adjacent lanes.
Sierra HD’s interior is available with a 13.4-inch-diagonal tablet-style touchscreen, the largest infotainment touchscreen in its class. An available multicolor 15-inch-diagonal head-up display and a new available 12.3-inch-diagonal digital instrument cluster create more than 40 inches of “immersive digital displays helping to provide a customizable and comprehensive driving experience.”
The all-new touchscreen infotainment center can be configured to a user’s preference, including the ability to operate multiple apps simultaneously in a “split-screen” view (for example, a navigation app running on the left side of the screen and a music app on the right). Sierra HD’s infotainment system will also integrate Google built-in (on all trims except Pro) allowing customers to connect virtually every aspect of their daily lives within their vehicle. The system is compatible with both Wireless Apple CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto.
The 2024 model year will offer the standard, Sierra HD Pro Safety suite of driver assistance technologies, including:
- Forward Collision Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Front Pedestrian Braking (new for 2024)
- IntelliBeam auto high beams
- Following Distance Indicator
Also available on the 2024 Sierra HD is the Pro Safety Plus Package which includes new driver assistance features Rear Cross Traffic and the Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert.
Debut of Denali Ultimate
GMC positions the first-ever Sierra HD Denali Ultimate as “the most premium, luxurious and technologically advanced Sierra HD yet,” equipped with unique design enhancements, more standard technologies and standard turbocharged performance with the 6.6L Duramax and Allison 10-speed.
Denali Ultimate’s interior reaches for premium luxury and comfort in a heavy-duty truck with full-grain leather appointments and open-pore Paldao wood trims. Additional Denali Ultimate content includes:
- Exclusive 20-inch Ultra-bright machined aluminum wheels
- A six-way MultiPro Tailgate
- Standard power-assist steps
- All-new 16-way power-adjustable and massaging front seats
- 12-speaker Bose Premium series with Centerpoint surround technology
- Standard rear-camera mirror, with full camera display
- Standard 15-inch-diagonal multicolor head-up display
- Standard power sunroof
The refreshed 2024 GMC Sierra HD arrives at dealerships in the first quarter of 2023, with the AT4X coming later in 2023. Pricing will be announced closer to the start of production.