Price Digests selects commercial truck winners for 2021 Highest Retained Value Awards
By Riley SimpsonJune 11, 2021
Price Digests announced the winners of the third annual Highest Retained Value Awards (HRVA), with seven commercial truck manufacturers taking home awards among the nine categories – Ford and Freightliner won three and two prizes, respectively.
The HRVA is the only industry program that leverages third-party, unbiased, data-driven residual values of commercial trucks to recognize those that are projected to retain the highest percentage of their original value during a five-year period, according to Price Digests, which is powered by The Truck Blue Book and has provided vehicle values and specs for more than 100 years.
The awards honor Class 3-8 commercial trucks in light-, medium- and heavy-duty models.
“We took a look at the most popular commercial trucks on the road and used proprietary algorithms to identify trucks that are expected to retain the most value during the next five years,” said Kurt Wilson, Price Digests manager of data analytics.
Hino, which won the Medium-Duty Trucks with Conventional Cab and Chassis category this year, has three total victories in as many years; Ford has won all three Medium-Duty Truck with Crew Cab and Chassis awards so far in HRVA history.
Price Digests President Simon Ferguson said Hino’s and Ford’s consistent wins are impressive, and he also noted that 2021’s new winners (Chevrolet, Kenworth, Isuzu and Freightliner) reflect changes that truck fleet owners and those who finance and insure fleets need to analyze for their own business investments.
“Our analyst team has expanded our data collection and market observations and is equipped with information to help trucking industry leaders build smarter businesses,” Ferguson said. “We believe that knowing and sharing this information can help those leaders.”
This is the third year Price Digests has presented the prestigious Highest Retained Value Awards to truck manufacturers. Only two companies have captured top awards all three years: Hino for Medium Duty Trucks with Conventional Cab & Chassis this year after winning Cabover Cab and Chassis in 2019 and 2020, and Ford Motor Company for Medium Duty Truck with Crew Cab & Chassis three years in a row. Ferguson says these wins are impressive in their respective highly competitive categories.
The 2021 Price Digests Highest Retained Value Award Winners (listed by category, make and model, average MSRP and retained value %)
- Heavy-Duty Trucks with Conventional Sleeper Tractor, Kenworth W900L ($186,777 average MSRP, 41.56% retained value)
- Heavy-Duty Trucks with Conventional Day Cab Tractor, Freightliner Cascadia ($159,515, 35.86%)
- Heavy-Duty Trucks with Conventional Cab and Chassis, Freightliner M2 106 ($95,759, 35.73%)
- Medium-Duty Trucks with Conventional Cab and Chassis, Hino* Z68A ($83,300, 46.75%)
- Medium-Duty Trucks with Cabover Cab and Chassis, Isuzu, NPR-HD ($51,010, 52.17%)
- Medium-Duty Trucks with Crew Cab and Chassis, Ford* F550 ($55,949, 58.25%)
- Light-Duty Trucks with Crew Cab and Chassis, Ford* F350 ($48,585, 50.09%)
- Light-Duty Trucks with Cargo Vans, Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 ($35,494, 51.15%)
- Light-Duty Trucks with Cab and Chassis, Ford* F250 ($33,329, 59.28%)
*Manufacturer also won in 2019 and 2020