Top 10 major upcoming Northeast construction projects
By Jenny LescohierJune 03, 2021
The top 10 major upcoming Northeast construction projects in the U.S., which are all in the planning stage and are mainly new projects as of June 2021, are focused almost entirely on infrastructure and are valued at a total of $132.7 billion, according to ConstructConnect Project Research.
Following are projects ranked in terms of cost (stage of construction noted in parentheses):
1. Gateway Tunnel, rail tunnel between New Jersey and New York/Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Procurement (PANYNJ) and Amtrak - New York, NY - $29.1 billion (schematic design)
2. Turnpike and parkway/New Jersey Turnpike Authority - Trenton NJ - $24 billion (pre-design)
3. Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway Project – MTA/New York City Transit Procurement Division - New York NY - $17 billion (design development)
4. Baltimore-Washington SCMAGLEV Project/Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) - Baltimore, MD - $15 billion (pre-design)
5. Baltimore Washington Rapid Rail/BWRR - Baltimore, MD - $12 billion (pre-design)
6. Hudson River Tunnel Project/New Jersey Transit Corporation - New York, NY - $11.6 billion (schematic design)
7. AirTrain La Guardia Project/Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Procurement (PANYNJ) and La Guardia Airport - New York, NY - $8 billion (pre-design)
8. I-495 & I-270 P3 Program (Phases 2-5) Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT)/Maryland State Highway Administration (MDSHA) - Bethesda, MD - $6 billion (pre-design)
9. I-495 & I-270 P3 PROGRAM (Phase 1) Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT)/Macquarie Group, New York - Bethesda, MD- $5 billion (design development)
10. Empire Station Complex/Empire State Development Corporation Headquarters - New York, NY -$5 billion (pre-design)
For the full report, click here.